Waita is the star associated with the ocean and the many kinds of food Maori gather from the sea.
Create your own ocean of sea creatures
Can you follow this recipe to make salt dough, and then create your own ocean of sea creatures?
- 1 cup salt
- 2 cups of flour
- ¾ cup of water
- Mix salt and flour together In a large bowl
- Gradually stir in water
- Mix well until it forms a doughy consistency
- Sprinkle flour onto a bench for kneading
- Turn the dough onto the floured bench and knead with your hands until smooth and combined
- Make your creations using the salt dough
- Place the salt dough on the windowsill or in a sunny spot to dry over a couple of weeks. Alternatively oven bake at 165 degrees for an hour or until hard (this will vary depending on thickness and size of each sea creature)
- Store your salt dough in an airtight container as it keeps well for a few days.
- You can paint your creations with acrylic paints and seal with varnish or polyurethane spray.
- Salt dough can also be aired dried and is an alternative to oven drying.
- Involve the students in making the salt dough